Lemon cupcakes to welcome Flossie
Last weekend, we visited some friends who’d just had a beautiful little girl Florence, and brought along some lemon cupcakes to celebrate her arrival. Sitting in their garden washed in afternoon sunshine, surrounded by friends and good food – life felt good.
I also took the opportunity to try out some photography and food styling tips picked up from ‘Plate to Pixel – Digital Food Photography & Styling’ by Hélène Dujardin. Part of the fun of writing this blog is the thrill of thinking of a recipe I want to try out, how I would present and photograph it and of course, the final taste test.
I wanted to make lemon cupcakes as they remind me of sunshine and warmth. K loves lemon curd so I incorporated this into the recipe. Topped with some light Swiss meringue buttercream, the cupcakes were perfect for our sunny party and I’m pleased to say, received many positive comments 🙂
The recipe for the cupcakes is adapted from Eric Lanlard’s ‘Cake Boy’ recipe for a basic vanilla sponge cake which I’ve used to make a Victoria sponge cake before. Grated lemon zest can be added to the meringue buttercream if you wish but I made a simple vanilla flavoured one to give balance to the citrus lemon curd.
What you’ll need
- 175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g lemon curd
- Swiss meringue buttercream
- Sliced lemon peel, for decoration
To make your cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake baking tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a freestanding electric mixer on a medium-high speed (speed 6 on my Kitchenaid for 8 minutes), until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and beat in the eggs one at a time until creamy and well combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mix, and fold everything together gently using a spatula or metal spoon. You should have a light and fluffy mixture.
- Divide the mix between the cupcake cases, filling each one about half-way and bake for 20 minutes.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool in the oven for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cooled, make a hole in the middle of each cupcake with an apple corer or a small knife and fill with lemon curd.
- To finish, pipe on some Swiss meringue buttercream and top with a slice of lemon peel.
Yields 12 cupcakes