Chocolate cookies from Prepped!
A few months ago I tested a recipe of lavender shortbread for Vanessa Kimbell who was about to publish her very first cookbook, and wrote about it here. Well, her cookbook is finally out (more on that soon) and I was invited to the London launch last week, bringing along some chocolate cookies from her cookbook Prepped!.
Vanessa suggests in Prepped! that the cookie mix can be placed in a jar to make super gifts, but you can also keep one handy in the cupboard and you can have dark, rich and melt-in-the-mouth chocolate cookies on the table in 20 minutes. I love her idea and you can be truly prepared to impress guests who happen to just pop by to visit. Lovely served up with some vanilla ice-cream or just a cup of coffee too!
What you’ll need
- 220g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 130g caster sugar
- 45g cocoa powder
- 60g roughly chopped pecan nuts (the recipe calls for walnuts)
- 150g chopped dark chocolate
- 120g soft butter
- 1 egg
How to make your cookies
1. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the salt.
2. In another bowl, mix the dark brown sugar and the caster sugar together. Make sure it is well-mixed – this stops the brown sugar from clumping.
3. Layer the flour, cocoa powder and sugar into a 1-litre jar with an airtight seal. Add the pecan nuts and chocolate on top and close well. (Note: if you’re giving this as a gift as suggested by Vanessa, you can hand-write a label with the instructions in steps 4-6 below.)
4. To make the cookies, preheat the oven to 175°C. Tip the contents of the jar into a mixing bowl or food processor. Add the butter and the egg and mix for 2-3 minutes, until the ingredients are well-blended.
5. Use your hands to roll the dough into just a bit smaller than walnut-size pieces. Pop them on a lightly greased baking sheet/a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and leave the cookies for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to set a little before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Vanessa provides some tips and uses in her cookbook:
- Replace the chopped chocolate with raisins for a fruity, chewy finish to the cookies.
- Substitute milk or white chocolate for the dark chocolate.
Yields about 60 cookies
Recipe adapted from Prepped! by Vanessa Kimbell