Grilled asparagus with scallops
A simple starter dish by Chef K, using the very much in-season asparagus! One of our favourite ways to eat scallops and asparagus – simply grilled, no fuss at all. I love how all the natural sweetness of the scallops is a perfect partner to the asparagus here, with the whole dish lifted by a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. How do you like to eat your asparagus?
What you’ll need
- 6 large king scallops, shelled, corals optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- 8 spears of asparagus, woody end removed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Good quality sea salt (e.g. Maldon, fleur de sel)
How to make the dish
- Coat the scallops with olive oil and season with black pepper, taking care not to over-season. This can be done 1-2 hours in advance to allow for the oil to be absorbed (reduces sticking and spitting when cooking).
- Blanche the asparagus in a large pan of salted boiling water for 1 minute.
- Refresh the asparagus in cold water to retain colour and prevent overcooking. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a griddle pan till smoking hot, grill the asparagus for 2 minutes, turning them and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Remove from griddle pan onto serving plate.
- Grill the scallops for 30 seconds on each side. Check that the scallops are done.
- Arrange the scallops on the asparagus, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with sea salt.
Tip: To check if the scallops are done, press them lightly with your finger. You should feel a bit of bounce and resistance.
Yields 2 starter portions