Salted caramel cheesecake cupcakes (a delish mouthful!)
6 pieces of digestive biscuits
- Process the digestive biscuits in a food processor until it resembles fine sand.
- Melt the butter in a microwave oven for about 30 seconds.
- Add the melted butter to the biscuits and process until combined.
- Divide among the cupcake cases, press down with the back of a teaspoon and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Tip: If you haven’t got a food processor, worry not – crush the digestive biscuits in a clear food bag, empty contents into a bowl, add the melted butter to it and combine with a spoon. I did this for years before I got my food processor!
To make the cheesecake:
300g cream cheese
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 140C.
- Beat the cheese and sugar until a smooth consistency is achieved. The mixture will look runny initially but becomes thicker after about 3-4 minutes of beating.
- Beat in one egg at a time until well incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake cases ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack while you get on with the caramel sauce.
To make the caramel sauce:
5 tbsp water
150g caster sugar
160ml double cream
- Add the water and sugar into a saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Use a wet brush to remove any crystals that form on the side.
- Increase the heat to high. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute. Do NOT stir the mixture from now.
- After approximately 4-5 minutes you will see a light shade of amber.
- Another 30-90 seconds and the mixture will turn a dark shade of amber.
- Once the mixture is a dark shade of amber, remove from the heat and add the cream.
- Now you can STIR rather vigorously to combine. Don’t worry about the bubbles (lots of bubbles!) that form when you first add the cream as they will subside upon cooling, within seconds.
- Allow to cool.
Tip: The first time I tried making caramel sauce I was worried I would burn it so cooked the sugar on medium heat which worked out perfectly fine although it took a bit longer than the timings above.
Assembling your cupcakes:
- Pour the cooled cupcake sauce over the cheesecake cups.
- Sprinkle with a few flakes of Malden sea salt (the best there is!).
- Pop the cupcakes back into the fridge for about 30 minutes before devouring if you like them a little solid.
- Yums! 🙂
Yields 12 utterly delish cupcakes