Carrot cake with cream cheese icing
What you’ll need for the carrot cake
Butter for greasing
3 large free-range eggs
175ml sunflower oil
200g light brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
225g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
80g dessicated coconut
60g walnut pieces (roughly chopped), plus extra for the topping
200g carrot, roughly grated (about 2 medium sized carrots)
What you’ll need for the cream cheese icing
300g cream cheese
50g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the cake…
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Grease a 22cm round, loose- bottomed cake tin with a little butter. Line the base of the tin with a circle of baking paper.
2. Put the eggs, sunflower oil and sugar in the mixer and mix for about 4 minutes, until the mixture becomes creamy.
3. Sift the cinnamon, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, ground ginger and salt over the mixture, and fold it in with the coconut, walnuts and carrots.
4. Spoon into the tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the cake’s centre comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool in the tin, then tranfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the icing…
1. Beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy, adding more icing sugar to taste if needed (I took 5 minutes to achieve this consistency with my KitchenAid mixer).
Assembling your cake…
Spread the icing over the top and sides of the cake and sprinkle with extra walnuts or a mixture of chopped nuts. Decorate the sides with walnut pieces.
Recipe adapted from the carrot cake recipe by Angela Boggiano in the delicious. magazine