Tuna steak with boiled potatoes and tomato salsa
Over the weekend, I was really craving for some tuna steak – just something simple and healthy, which the other-half lovingly obliged and promptly served up perfectly cooked tuna steak as below. The tuna steaks were bought from Waitrose’s fish counter. We love buying tuna steak and rib-eye steaks from Waitrose’s fish and meat counters respectively as they are generally reasonably priced and very fresh.
- 2 x pieces of tuna steak (about 220g and 2cm thick each)
- A pinch of Maldon sea salt
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- A pinch of oregano
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- New potatoes (enough for two persons)
- A handful of chopping spring onions
- A knob of butter
- 1 tbsp of garlic puree
- Salt to taste
1. Prepare the tomato salsa by roughly chopping up the tomatoes and tossing them in a bowl with the oregano, garlic puree, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Leave to rest.
2. Boil the potatoes in a small saucepan until soft.
3. Lightly fry the spring onions in the butter for 1 minute to soften.
4. Stir in the boiled potatoes, garlic puree and salt.
5. Preheat a grill pan until smoking hot.
6. Grill each tuna steak for about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking.
7. Plate up the potatoes with the tuna steak resting on top. Drizzle the tomato salsa around the potatoes.
8. Finish with a few pieces of Maldon sea salt on the tuna steak.
Yields 2 main servings